Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Hat and Scarf pattern

It's not very often that I share a pattern for something that is not a puppet. However I knitted this set of matching hat and bow-knot scarf recently, and having been unable to decide on a pattern (there's just too much choice on the internet!!) I decided to make up my own.

I knitted this set using some Rowan Kid Classic yarn that I had in my stash.


Here is the pattern (as far as I can remember it!).

Materials:
Rowan Kid Classic Yarn, approx 120g.

Size 5mm (UK 6, US 8) knitting needles. Size 4.5mm (UK 7, US 7) needles for flower.
Cable needle. Stitch holder.

Abbreviations:
RC - sl 2 st on to cable needle, hold behind, K2, the K2 from cable needle.
LC - sl 2 st on to cable needle, hold in front, K2, the K2 from cable needle.

Crisscross cable stitch pattern repeat:
Row 1 Knit
Row 2 Purl
Row 3 [RC, K2], repeat to end
Row 4 Purl
Row 5 Knit
Row 6 Purl
Row 7 [K2, LC], repeat to end
Row 8 Purl

Scarf:
Cast on 42 sts.
Knit in the crisscross cable pattern as follows:
On every row, knit the first and last 3 sts, and knit the pattern repeat 6 times.
Continue in this way, repeating these 8 rows until the work is approx 23" or 58 cm long, ending on an 8th row.

Divide work for bow knot:
Next row: k3, [k1, slip next st onto a stitch holder], repeat until last 3 sts, k3. (24 sts on the working needle, 18 sts on the stitch holder.)

Continue working the crisscross cable pattern as before, repeating the pattern only 3 times.
Work 24 rows in this way. Break yarn and leave sts on a spare needle.

Rejoin yarn to 18 sts on holder and work 24 rows in stocking stitch (1 row knit, 1 row purl) but on every row knit the first and last 3 sts.

Rejoin the two pieces:
Knit first 3 sts from the front section (on the spare needle) the alternately knit one st from the front section, and one from the back section until all sts are back on one needle, then knit the final 3 sts.
Continue in the crisscross pattern as before, knitting the first and last 3 sts on every row, until work measures 3 " or 8 cm from the re-join.

Cast off. Block the work.

As the edge was curling up I decided to add a border of garter stitch loops to each end. The pattern can be found here. Seven loops should be enough to fit across the scarf. Sew the border neatly onto each end.

Hat:
Cast on 120 sts.
Work 10 rows in K2, P2 rib.
Work the crisscross cable pattern  for 32 rows.
Decrease:
1st row: [K4, K2 tog], repeat to end. (100 sts)
Next row and every alternate row: Purl
3rd row: [RC, K1], repeat to end
5th row:  [K3, K2 tog], repeat to end. (80 sts)
7th row: [LC]
9th row:  [K2, K2 tog], repeat to end. (60 sts)
11th  row: [RC,K2], repeat to end
13th row: [K1, K2 tog], repeat to end (40 sts)
15th row: K2 tog, repeat to end (20 sts)
16th row: P2 tog, repeat to end (10 sts)

Break yarn, leaving a long tail for sewing up, thread tightly through the last 10 sts and fasten off. Sew up side seam.

The flower is knitted using this pattern from Ravelry. I used 4.5 mm needles to make it.

I hope you like the pattern. I'm just waiting for some colder weather to arrive so that I can wear it!


5 comments:

  1. Janet, that is absolutely beautiful. What a great pattern. Thank you also for the little hedgies that popped through my door. I so appreciate them.
    Love linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great scarf pattern. You should publish it on Ravelry. I haven't seen such a pretty version on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's beautiful Janet! I would love to make this, I have put it on my to do list, thank you for sharing the pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely! A unique scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet. returning your visit. Pleased to meet you. I´m gradually making my way through the GYB list, it´s going to take me ages. I love your knitted items, the hat and scarf are just perfect, the colour being one of my favourite. Incredible your knitted puppets. Will be back to read with calm.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails