Monday, 7 January 2013

This week's soup - Parsnip and Apple

Although not a new year's resolution as such, I would like to make more homemade soup this year. Straight after Christmas I made a big pot of the usual turkey soup, from the boiled up turkey carcass. I think there might still be some of the previous year's turkey soup still in the freezer too....

Yesterday I used the remainder of our home-grown parsnips...


...to make parsnip and apple soup.


The nice thing about making soup is that you don't have to stick to a recipe. This was a combination of a half-remembered recipe that I looked up in my sister-in-law's Covent Garden book "A Soup for Every Day", and various on-line recipes.

I gently fried an onion in butter, then added the peeled and chopped parsnips (about 4) and a peeled and chopped bramley apple. After frying everything together for a few minutes, I added about a litre of vegetable stock and simmered until the parsnips were fairly tender. Some of them were a bit woody, so this took about half an hour. Then I blitzed it all smooth with a hand blender, and added about half a litre of milk.


The taste of the apple was quite noticeable but not too strong. Served with some crusty bread and butter, it went down a treat, and we still have four more portions to enjoy another day. 

I can't promise that I'll make soup every week, but will certainly try to make it more regularly, as it is so much nicer than the tinned stuff we normally eat.

2 comments:

  1. You are following in our footsteps ,or us yours. Lots of soup slurping going on here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love home-made soup--mine is usually the kitchen sink variety. The apple and parsnips sound good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails