Thursday, 10 January 2013

Ever-evolving cardigan

A couple of years ago I made a cardigan out of some Noro wool that I had recycled from a poncho that I never wore. It turned into a bit of a saga because in the end I didn't have enough wool to finish it, and had to creatively compromise. I added some brown wool to the bottom of the sleeves and the collar and used a loop stitch to create a bobbly effect, which took ages!


I was quite pleased with the end result. I have worn it quite a bit and it has been much admired. But I've never been entirely happy with the collar, which tended to flop down, due to the weight of the loop stitch and the soft texture of the brown wool. The Noro coloured yarn is much more firm.

A few months ago I spotted two balls of the exact same yarn (which was long gone out of production) in a charity shop and, of course, I had to buy it.


It was an absolute bargain anyway, at only 50p a ball! At the time I thought I might make a hat to match the cardigan, but over time I have come to the conclusion that I have to rework the cardigan again. I will remove all the brown cuffs and collar and rework it as per the original pattern.



 The brown wool will make up into a lovely soft wrap or scarf later.

So last night, I made a start and carefully unpicked the first sleeve.


I plan to start knitting the sleeve straight away, before unpicking the second sleeve. That way I'll have something to compare for length.

It will be the fourth time I've knitted the sleeves to this cardigan, but I don't think it will take too long. I will also unpick the collar and rework it in the Noro yarn (if there's enough!!!) I'm sure it will be worth it.

3 comments:

  1. I take my hat off to you. Persistence and I make uneasy bedfellows! I admired your efforts the first time around and I am more in awe now! That would have been at the back of the cupboard of doom under the stairs long ago. I am still not speaking to the pair of socks that had the smallest hitch on Christmas Eve. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! What a great way to start the new year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your cardigan and am also a bit of a perfectionist like you. I am happy to unravel and rework something until I'm happy with it. I left you a reply to your comment on my posting "Third Time Lucky". Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails