Sunday, 12 February 2012

Icebreaker

It was a crisp, cold day when I caught up on a walk with my friend at the Aquadrome in Rickmansworth the other week. The cold weather had made a layer of ice on the lakes (which were formed by the extraction of gravel used in the original Wembley Stadium.) The area is now a nature reserve, and an ideal spot for walking around the lakes and by the Grand Union Canal which runs alongside.


The hungry swans and geese were keen on the handouts on offer.


I'm not sure what this man was giving them, but feeding stale bread to these birds, as many people do, is bad for their digestion and makes them sluggish. It is better to feed them with grain.

I didn't take too many pictures around the lake, as the cold was nipping my fingers when I handled the camera.
We progressed onto the canal towpath, and here the sun was making more of an impact and we were in a sheltered spot out of the wind.

I lined up a nice shot of the icy canal...


... and as I did so, I became aware of a terrific racket behind me...


... as a canal barge came crashing through the thick ice.

The sheets of ice vibrated as the boat passed ...



... leaving a mass of broken ice.


Despite the cold, we enjoyed our walk in the sunshine.


It was good to stretch the legs and catch up with each other, as we hadn't walked together for many months.

We lunched in the lovely Cafe in the Park, where the owners, as well as promoting sustainable dining and offering an imaginative menu, also have a keen sense of humour (remember this?)


I enjoy a good walk, but also a good lunch afterwards!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice day out in spite of the cold. At least the sun was shining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely walking along by the canal. I do like to get out in the fresh air as long as it stays dry!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails