Saturday, 17 September 2011

Advancing into Autumn, with a glimpse back to Summer.

As the summer recedes and the cooler days of autumn creep on, I was rather surprised to see this in the garden this week. 


Strawberries - doesn't that mean hot June/July days and Wimbledon?


Apparently not. A bit of googling reveals that there are 3 types of Strawberries - June bearing, everbearing and day neutral. I suspect these may be the everbearing type - I know that there was a mixture of different plants in my strawberry patch which I planted last year. Some of the plants didn't produce flowers earlier in the year, so maybe this was the reason.


I'm not sure whether it is now warm enough for these fruits to ripen - we'll see!

Elsewhere in the garden there is still plenty of activity. I wonder whether this butternut squash will ripen?


There's lots of colour too. The cosmos have been particularly colourful for the last few weeks. I've been dead-heading like mad - can't keep up with them!
Keeping the bees fed too.



The chocolate cosmos (which really does smell of chocolate!) has done well, and is out-growing it's pot.


I've left the sunflower heads to feed the birds. I hope they appreciate it.


The phygelius is having a second flush of flowers. This is a vigorous shrub that was given to me by a good friend some years ago. I have a few clumps of it now dotted around the garden. It can be a bit of a thug as it spreads by its roots and needs to be kept in check but it's also useful for providing shelter in exposed spots. I have a very windy spot by the side of the house where the wind is tunnelled down the path between ours and the neighbour's wall, so I have one positioned there to protect the plants behind it.


We inherited lots of fuchsias in our garden. The ones we have are all hardy and keep on going year after year.


Once they get going, they keep on flowering, don't need deadheading or support, seem to tolerate very little feeding, are drought tolerant and provide loads of colour until the first frosts.


What's not to like?

And lastly, the nasturtiums have been vigorously climbing the shed this year, and don't seem to have been gobbled by the caterpillars, which is usually the case.


I'll be saving some seed from this variety until next year.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely garden shots! Our area had frost Friday morning, though, being on a hill, we escaped. It was -4C in some local spots. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fetcham 'gardners'19 September 2011 at 10:03

    And how is your pumpkin doing?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails