Monday, 18 July 2011

A walk by the Jubilee River

A blustery walk yesterday by the Jubilee River felt more like autumn than mid-summer. The river is, in fact, man made, constructed in the late 1990's as a flood relief channel to take water away from the towns of Windsor and Maidenhead. There has been some controversy as to it's effectiveness at relieveing the flooding, which I won't go into, but for me and for many others, it serves as a welcome outdoor wildlife amenity. Visually it seems very natural and the Environment Agency who were responsible for its construction, have provided a good wildlife habitat along its banks with careful planting and construction. There is always plenty of birdlife to be seen on our frequent walks along its paths.  


Canada Geese seemed to like this spot at the top of the wier.


Swans low in the water with their necks bent flat to avoid being buffeted by the wind.


Coots find a sheltered inlet close to the hide.


A lone heron shares the water with some ducks. On the horizon is behind the hill to the right is the impressive structure of Windsor Castle.


This flock of Canada Geese just entered the water after I disturbed them from the bank....


... then quickly turned themselves around to face into the wind.

Personally, I like to have the wind behind me if I can, but then I am not a goose, although I did have goose-bumps after this walk. I hope it warms up again soon!

As it was so wet and windy, I only had a small camera with me, so the quality of these pictures is not as good as it could have been with a better camera.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a lovely walk even though the sun was not shining as it should!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails