Sunday, 30 January 2011

Sunday Scrapbook - old times

I like to read books about the history of my local area, and particularly like to see old pictures of familiar places. Although I have moved around quite a bit in my younger days, I now live in a village called Burnham, only a couple of mile from where I was born and brought up. I saw this book in my local library recently and borrowed it.


Whilst leafing through it, I came across a section about the village of my childhood, called Cippenham. And this picture caught my eye, because it was from the school I attended as a child.



Mr Kincaid was my teacher in my final year there, when I was 10  or 11. Now the caption implies that the picture was taken in 1955, and so as I'd have only been a year old then, this could not have been my class!

But wait a minute - I took a closer look - and yes - there is a familiar face there....


...my sister!

Since she is 3 years older than me, she would only have been 4 in 1955, so the caption is clearly wrong. When we attended this school, the age range of the children was about 7 or 8 to 11, and I think Mr Kincaid took the senior class for some years, so my sister would have been about 10 here.

I recognise one or two of the people in the class, and I'm sure my sister will remember more of them than me.

Now I know my sister reads my blog regularly, but she never leaves me a comment. So come on, sis, this is your chance. Who do you recognise?

Dawn from Rattling On... has co-incidentaly scrapbooked about something from the past today - why not pop over and take a look?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janet, thanks for joining in this week. You should put your photos on Friends Reunited then people will fill in the missing names for you! Dawn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails