Friday, 13 August 2010

Colourful trios for a rainy day

After weeks of dry weather we are now having some dull and rainy days. This both a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that the garden was in desparate need of some rain, so now we have it, we should be happy. Things are greening up and coming to life, and the grass is even showing signs of recovery.

The downside of the rain is that, having spent weeks of stress and heartache getting the new patio built, we now need some sunny weather to dry it out, so that we can paint some sealer on it to help preserve its appearence and protect it from rain and frost penetration. Here's a little sneak preview of the patio as it is now - all construction work finished and just awaiting finishing touches. I'll show you more of what a marvellous job my hubby has done another time.


Just awaiting some topsoil and edging cobbles.


New pots lined up ready.
 
Of course, now that it is practically finished it would also be nice to have some sunny days to use it - get the bar-b-q out - assemble our new patio furniture - you know, the fun bits we've been looking forward to! But we'll have to be patient and wait for some better weather.

But all is not dull and dreary in my neck of the woods. My first sunflower came out this week. The hoverflies seem to appreciate it. I have a few more dotted around the garden and the recent rain has helped them to  grow strong and sturdy, and I'm hoping for more flowers from these.


A sight that makes me smile each time I walk into our village is this wheelie bin, which sits on a quiet street corner spreading its quirky happiness to all passers by. I'm always moaning that we don't have a green bin collection here, but you wouldn't want this one to be emptied, would you?


I wish you all a good weekend, wherever you are!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Imagine if the whole country had wheelie bins like that. So glad the patio is finished after such a lot of hard work.Looking forward to the sailors hornpipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, the patio looks wonderful. I hope you both enjoy the fruits of your labor. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails