Monday, 5 July 2010

3 P's

Pizza

Pizza is quite a favourite in our house. Not the dry, tasteless shop-bought variety, nor the soggy, fatty take-away variety. No, homemade is best. I used to buy pizza bases and pile our favourite toppings on, and that was ok, but these days you only seem to be able to buy gigantic pizza bases, which are too large for just the two of us. Then I tried making bases from a packet mix, and that was ok, although some varieties taste very sweet, and it's hard work kneeding the dough. So now the best solution I've found is to make pizza dough in the bread-maker. It turns out light and springy, and takes on a lovely golden crusty texture when brushed with olive oil. I've also started using mozarella sliced from a ball rather than the pre-grated stuff, which is full of potato flour to stop it sticking together. So my pizzas have just got better and better over the years! Our usual toppings are sliced red onion, red peppers, mushrooms and pepperoni or chorizo. Maybe some sliced chillis or herbs. I have to admit I still use pasta sauce from a jar as a base, but apart from that, I know exactly what's in it.
Mmmmmmmm! Just add a glass of red wine!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Produce

A couple of days ago we were trying to think of all the home-grown produce we'd eaten in the last week, as we munched our way through this little bowlful.
I have to admit that the quantities are not always that large. We had 6 gooseberries (which is 6 more than we've ever had), 24 redcurrants (well, it is a brand new bush). But the variety was quite suprising:
  • redcurrants
  • gooseberries
  • strawberries
  • raspberries
  • cherries
  • lettuce
  • radishes
  • courgette
  • broad beans
  • potatoes
  • cucumbers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Patio

Progress has been woefully slow over the past few days and we have been (temporarily, I hope) abandoned by the builders. The only real development has been.....
.....the appearence of a second skip:((

2 comments:

  1. Those pizzas look delicious and I hope the patio moves on soon !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The notebooks look fantastic but the pizzas even better! Doreen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails