Tuesday, 1 June 2010

Things that are making me happy today

Hello. I hope you all had a good weekend. I did, despite gaining a year, but I don't feel a year older than I did last week, so that's what counts.

There are a number of things that are making me happy today:
My birthday flowers, such a lovely combination of sweet smelling stocks, white crysanths and delicate pink gypsophila. They go so well with my scottish stoneware vase.
Some pretty new pots, bought with some birthday money yesterday.
We used these to pot up some newly acquired citrus trees, one orange, one lemon and one lime. These are supposed to be fairly hardy, and came with a fleecy cover to protect them in winter, but we shall see how they survive. They will hopefully add a nice mediterranean touch to our new patio (which we are hoping to get built in the next month or so).
 Another oriental poppy is in flower - this time a lovely salmon pink colour. 
When I snapped it yesterday, this bee was having a fine old time inside, getting its fill and wandering about in its cavernous interior! It's good to see so many bees about at the moment - from what we're told, we really do need them. I think my garden provides them with lots of feeding opportunities.
They really seem to like the cranesbill geraniums which are prolific in my garden - they grow here like weeds. I usually cut them down after the first flowering and they come again with a second, somewhat weaker flush later in the summer. This poor little aquilegia has been somewhat swamped by them, so I must cut them back a bit. I want to encourage this delicate sweetie to seed itself all over the place!
And finally, all gardens benefit from a little rain now and then, so I'm happy to see a few raindrops on my window this morning. 

Its arrival is especially welcome as I put down 'weed and feed' on the grass at the weekend, so now I won't have to water it in today.

Enjoy your day.

3 comments:

  1. What lovely birthday flowers. A Happy Belated Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Poppies are so beautiful!
    My mum has some similar gorgeous dark peachy coloured poppies in her garden. I gave her the seeds from a plant in my previous garden but forgot to take some for myself so this year I am determined to raid hers!
    I do have the most beautiful red ones in my garden right now,which are simply stunning!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are beautiful. Thank you for visiting my blog to comment on my blanket - it was very much appreciated!

    Have a lovely weekend.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails