Monday, 15 February 2010

Puppet sabbatical/New Hat

Every time I go out in the cold lately (and we've had rather a lot of cold weather lateley, haven't we?) I wish I had a nicer hat. I've been meaning to knit myself a new hat for ages, and indeed I did so last year. It was a black mohair affair which, although quite warm, turned out a bit loose around the ears. And I also discovered that mohair hats are no good in the wind as all the small hairy bits blow into your eyes.

There doesn't seem to be any let-up in the cold weather yet, so I've decided to take a short break from puppet knitting and try to knit another hat. 

This time it is made of a nice warm creamy coloured aran wool. I had planned to knit it in a sort of honeycomb pattern and spent some time experimenting with getting the stitch right yesterday. Then I spotted this nice knotted rib on a cardigan I made a while ago, and thought that would be nice as well.

As you can probably tell by now, I'm winging it somewhat when it comes to a pattern. In fact I like the knotted rib so much that I've abandoned the honeycomb stitch idea and have decided to continue the whole hat in knotted rib.

It's quite an easy stitch but makes a very nice highly ridged and decorative texture. Here's how it's done:

Knitted on multilpe of 3 plus 2 sts:
1st row: (Right side)* p2, k into front and back of next st, rep. from * to last 2 sts, p2.
2nd row: *k2, p2tog, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.

I've knitted a 3 inch brim and am now knitting a plain k1p1 rib on slightly smaller needles to fold under the brim. I then plan to continue the knotted rib on the larger needles again and keep my fingers crossed that it fits!

I'll let you see the result if it turns out half decent.

2 comments:

  1. I must say I am rather jealous of your knitting skills. If I started a hat now It wouldn't be finished until the middle of summer lol.

    (((hugs)))
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping over to my blog -- It was lovely to see you there. Lovely puppets
    Kindest Regards Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails